Monday, October 28, 2013

"Hey Girl, This May Seem Like a Great Idea..."

I used to believe that I only needed prayer for certain areas in my life.  For certain big events that were happening or for great opportunities that I had been presented with.  "God, can I please have this job?  God can you reveal if this relationship is idea?  God, will you please heal my dying grandmother?"  The big things in life.  That's all I prayed for.

As I continue to grow in my faith, the learning never ceases, which is a really awesome thing.  One thing I've really learned about myself within the last few years is how EXCITED I GET ABOUT THINGS.  (Did that get my point across?)  I'm very passionate and I try my hardest to see good in all situations and the phrase, "don't get your hopes up," never applies to me because before you can even get those words out of your mouth my hopes have already taken their own rocket to the dang moon.  This is how God made me.  Denying it is difficult.

In learning and comprehending this about myself I know that I have to be careful with my reactions to ideas.  More times than not, when someone presents an idea/plan/situation/course of action to me that sounds awesome one can often hear me saying, "heck yea that sounds like a great plan, let's go for it, no matter what the details are now, let's just go for it and it's going to be great and we'll have no regrets and aldkhfgaldgjalkdsfjasd."  THEN, a few days later, after I've processed and prayed (of course praying is usually the last thing I do, because I'm still learning and growing), the realization hits me.  The realization of, "hey girl this may seem like a great idea, and maybe it actually IS a great idea...but it's not a great idea for YOU."  (That's how God talks to you too, right?)  Then I have to go back to whomever I have excited with my excitement and be like, "oh hey, I'm sorry I got so excited...let's talk about this rationally."  Not always fun.

God is continually revealing things to me.  Lately, he continues to reveal to me to seek HIS counseling for all of my decisions.  It's so funny that I am constantly asking my friends and family what they think, which of course is normal, but not actually praying about the situation until much later.  I should be praying about it first, asking friends and family second.  We all should.  We should pray to the one that CREATED us the exact way we are and ask HIM what HE desires us to do.  It's really a very simple concept.  It's a very simple task, yet we make it much harder.  Why is it so hard?  Probably because we are impatient and we want instant gratification and the Lord does not always grant us that so we search other places first.  But he does always listen.  And he always reveals what we need to know.  Just in his own time.  We have to get more comfortable with HIS time and forget about our own.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
-Philippians 4:6


No comments:

Post a Comment